Tuesday, February 8, 2011

CHLOE



This is a film that I had already seen and only chose to see again to fill in the time between seeing “The ‘Burbs” and my next film.  While I enjoyed the film slightly more this time around, I still feel that overall, the film does not work. 
“Chloe” is a remake of the French film “Nathalie” and is directed by Canadian film-maker Atom Egoyan.  The plot revolves around Julianne Moore’s character who is suspicious that her husband (played by Liam Nesson) is having an affair, and decides to hire a prostitute (Amanda Seyfried) to try and tempt her husband and catch him out.  Each time Chloe sees the husband, she reports back to the wife describing in detail exactly what went on between the two of them.  Things escalate too far causing the husband and wife to finally confront each other with the truth. 
The problem with the film is that the whole “twist” doesn’t work, as I never believed any of the stories the prostitute told (to be fair, although I remember very little of it, I have seen the original film, so the twist may have subconsciously stayed with me).  She even lets the viewer know this in the opening scene when she says that “She is good with words”.  Overall, the film did its job in wasting some time in between screenings, but that is about it, I’m afraid.

2.5 Stars - Viewed at the Melbourne International Film Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment