Sunday, August 21, 2011

2011 Melbourne International Film Festival

Melbourne International Film Festival: July 21 - 7 August, 2011.


Well its that time of the year again when MIFF rolls into town.  Below is the list of titles that I am seeing, which will be updated with a star rating and a brief review after I see each title.  At the end of the festival, I will follow it up with my top ten list from the festival. 

Well, that’s it, that was my experience of MIFF 2011.  Personally I thought it was a fantastic festival with a lot of great films (and few bad ones) and it was probably my favourite MIFF for at least five years.  I especially liked the fact that they started the first film at 11am this year and not 1pm, because this gave extra time between screenings, and from memory I believe that most (if not all) my screenings started on time, even the sold-out screenings.  Anyway, it is Top Ten time, so here is my favourite films at this year’s MIFF in reverse order:

10. THE INNKEEPERS
9.  TYRANNOSAUR
8.  LE HAVRE
7.  SUBMARINE
6.  TABLOID
5.  MICHAEL
4.  UNDER THE HAWTHORN TREE
3.  POLISSE
2.  TAKE SHELTER
1.  A SEPARATION

So there you have it, “A Separation” was my favourite film of the festival, but the others never had a chance.  As soon as I saw it I knew that nothing would beat it, and that was true.  I should point out that my top ten doesn’t include the “classic” titles like “The King Of Comedy” because I had seen them before.  Below is the list for the “people’s choice” award at MIFF this year:

20. 13 ASSASSINS
19. X
18. ESSENTIAL KILLING
17. GOOD BYE
16. THE FUTURE
15. TINY FURNITURE
14. FALLING FOR SAHARA
13. THE EYE OF THE STORM
12. TOOMELAH
11. THE KID WITH THE BIKE
10. SUBMARINE
9.  THE SLAP
8.  LE HAVRE
7.  MELANCHOLIA
6.  BEGINNERS
5.  TROLL HUNTER
4.  RED DOG
3.  OUR IDIOT BROTHER
2.  FACE TO FACE
1.  A SEPARATION

Again, “A Separation” comes out on top and again it is no surprise.  When I left the screening of it and spoke to my wife, I told her that it would definitely get the people’s choice award, and that was half way through the festival.  I think also this is the first time that my number one and the people’s choice for number one has been the same.

Well that is it for MIFF in 2011, I had a fantastic time there and I hope that you got something out of my reviews.  I’m already looking forward to July of 2012 so I can do it all again.

1 comment:

  1. Massive effort to write 46 Reviews, Mr Movies!! Good Job :-) xx

    Hayley

    ReplyDelete