Monday, February 7, 2011

MICMACS


My biggest disappointment is hardly a bad film, in fact this was well received film by both critics and audiences alike, but for me unfortunately this is the first time I couldn’t find an access point into one of Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s created worlds.  In fact, there were parts of it that I thought were downright silly.  I must admit that I have only seen the film once, and I really do want to re-watch it to see if I actually do dislike the film or whether I was just having one of those days. 
I adore all of Jeunet’s other films (hell, I named my daughter after a character from “The City Of Lost Children”) and even find them magical, that the fact that I may actually dislike one astounds me.  It didn’t help that it had been five years since Jeunet’s previous film “A Very Long Engagement”, which was always going to cause heightened expectations, which would be unlikely to be met. 
Truthfully, I couldn’t really tell you why I dislike “Micmacs” because everything about it looks and sounds like a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film.  Maybe that is the problem with it, that it is starting to feel a little repetitive and it is no longer fresh.  Jean-Pierre mentioned that he was inspired by a number of things while making “Micmacs” and one was that he wanted to make a revenge film because he is a huge fan of Sergio Leone’s “Once Upon A Time In The West”.  That film is one of the greatest ever made, so when a film is meant to be inspired from it, I expect that film to be many things, and the limp and silly revenge tale that we get from “Micmacs” doesn’t come close to my expectations.  I’m hoping that with these expectations now gone that my second viewing of this film will show the true magic of it and I will finally see what everyone else is seeing, but until then, “Micmacs” is my biggest disappointment of 2010.

Ranked as Biggest Disappointment of 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment