Monday, February 7, 2011

THE SILENT HOUSE

This is a gimmick film, with the gimmick here being that the film is one long, uninterrupted take (a claim I consider dubious – I’m sure that I saw a number of cuts).  I must admit that I do not really get the point of a single take film.  I’ll agree that it is technically an amazing achievement but how does it help the film, narratively speaking?   

The main problem with this film is that for the majority of its running time, nothing happens.  It is just a girl walking around a dark house with a lamp, with neither tension or fear ever being heightened.  The basic story is a girl and her father come to a house to clean it before it is sold, however during the night they hear strange noises and the terror begins.  YAWN!  It was so boring, with only one good scene, and it had the most ridiculous twist ending (think “High Tension” bad).  Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy this film at all.  Oh, apparently it is based on a true story.  Give me a break.


2 Stars - Viewed at the 2010 Melbourne International Film Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment