Tuesday, August 16, 2011

YOU ARE HERE - MIFF 2011

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!  This is the first film at this year’s film festival that I haven’t enjoyed, actually it was a complete dog.  This was a complete waste of 78 minutes in my life.  Only 78 minutes, you say?  Believe me, it felt double that.  This is the kind of “film” that I hate.  It’s an existential art film that makes no sense at all, and with no entertainment value to be had (at least for me).

A city of people called “Alan”, a guy working out Chinese language problems without knowing the language, a guy who blinds the blind of their restored vision only to replace it with what he sees.  What is this garbage?  These are the strands spread out through this “film”.  It makes no sense.  It is pointless!

Don’t get me wrong, though, I believe these kind of films should be shown at the film festival, but in a sidebar of similar films, to put this into the “international panorama” section of the festival is a sham.  Congratulations though to MIFF for their write up of “You Are Here” in the guide and for making this drivel sound interesting enough for me to waste my time and see it.  Did I mention it was a “sold out” session?  Sigh……Next!!!

No Stars.

Damn!  Look at that poster.  That says it all really. 

1 comment:

  1. I heard it was a major discovery! It's very rare for you to 'hate' a film. I remember years and years ago someone bagging a film and you were like "hey, someone has put their heart and soul into that film" Do you remember that?

    Hayley.

    ReplyDelete