Tuesday, January 5, 2016

2015 - IN REVIEW: MOST OVERRATED



KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE

This film, directed by Matthew Vaughn, was one that I thoroughly disliked. I found it to be a vulgar piece of cinema, and hated it for a number of varied reasons, and its existence and the type of filmmaking are perfect examples of what I think is wrong with (popular) cinema today. Like Vaughn's previous two features, “Kick-Ass” and “X-Men: First Class”, “Kingsman” finds its origin in a comic book. Unlike those two previous features, I did not like this film at all and am disgusted by how well the film has been received (by, I assume, the younger audiences). As I write this, it currently has an imdb rating of 7.8. 7.8??? Are you kidding me? For those that are keeping count, let me say that on the imdb rating system I gave “Kingsman” a four, and now, almost a year after seeing it, I think I was being a little generous back then. Whilst I keep reading how everyone thinks the film is cool, I was disgusted by the total lack of human life and values associated with this film. I know what you are thinking, “this is a comic book movie. Stop taking it so seriously!” and to some degree, you may be right, but as opposed to something like “Kick-Ass” which also had some questionable material within it, it was still anchored by a real world morality, heightened yes, but there was still a morality to it. The father/daughter relationship was touching, as was the acknowledgement that if there were really superheroes in the real world, it would be brutal and dangerous.

Kingsman” has none of this. In its place it dishes up brutal and bloody violence with no consequences or conscious. I actually went into the film expecting a fun and silly spy tale, but was not prepared for what I got. It is also an incredibly lazy film particularly in regard to its big, action set piece set in the church. The whole thing is done as a pseudo one-take affair, and is badly done and the action has been so terribly choreographed that it just feels like amateur hour, but my biggest gripe with the scene is its total use of CGI blood which gives it a video game feel as opposed to cinema. I make it known that I am against the use of CGI blood, but I have no problem if it is used to enhanced practical blood used on set. You can tell that that didn't happen here, and it comes across as cheap and that a “yeah, that'll do, we'll fix it in post” attitude was applied whilst making the film.

To be honest, I find it hard writing about this film, I disliked it so much. I have so many issues with this film, but seriously, what was Samuel L. Jackson thinking with his performance here as the villain? He is beyond terrible in this, and he is more than a competent actor. If everything that comes before it isn't bad enough, the film ends on the sleaziest note possible; an anal sex gag if you can believe.

I've had enough talking about this over-rated piece of crap. I say avoid “Kingsman: The Secret Service” at all costs; the rest of the cinema going public disagrees with me. Make up your own minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment