Saturday, January 5, 2019

2018 - IN REVIEW: BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT


JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

As the title above suggests, my biggest disappointment of 2018 was J.A. Bayona's “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”. What surprised me the most though was, by the time the film was released into cinemas, just how much I was anticipating seeing it. While I was quite a large fan of the previous film, “Jurassic World” which came out in 2015, I I didn't think I was in love with it so much to make me drool in anticipation of a sequel to it. Personally I think that “Jurassic World” gets unfairly picked on by the film watching public because it actually has a lot of great things in it. Firstly, both Chris Pratt's and Bryce Dallas Howard's characters were a lot of fun and the two actors had impressive chemistry together. Secondly is the introduction to the raptor character of “Blue” who totally steals the movie, and despite the fact that the film is often derided as just a rehash of “Jurassic Park”, what “Jurassic World” does so well is bring back the entertainment and wow factor of seeing these giant creatures wrecking havoc on screen. No, the film is not perfect (and the total use of CGI to create the dinosaurs was a little disappointing) but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

When J.A Bayona was first announced as director of the new film, I was impressed and thought he was an inspired choice. The fact that it was also announced that “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” was going to lean more towards a horror film also whet my appetite considerably. Once the trailers for the film started to roll out, the film looked impressive and strangely even leaned towards Gothic horror which is not the first thing you think of when discussing dinosaurs. Bayona also promised to return to the use of practical effects (if possible) when dealing with the creatures; another tick for the film. Still, even with all this positive energy I had surrounding the release of this film, I was unprepared for just how excited I was going to get to actually see it! I remember that I had to work on opening day, but thankfully Thursday is my short day, so I was able to rush to see the second session straight from work. I was pumped for it all morning, and to be honest, for the couple of days prior. This was totally unlike me, as I very rarely get excited like this even when I am anticipating something, so I was quite taken aback when I realised the state I was in just before the film started. However, a little over two hours later, that unbridled excitement and passion I had for “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” had changed to total crushing disappointment.

The film just did not work for me at all. To be fair, it has some good moments, but as a total product, I really disliked it. The highlight of the film is the destruction of the original Jurassic Park island and seeing those poor dinosaurs, who were unable to be saved, perish. It is a brilliant, heartbreaking scene that fills you with genuine, painful emotion as you listen to the terrified screams of the brontosaurus as it awaits its fate. It is such a powerful scene, but it is the only one in the film and it happens very early on. The rest of the film just cannot live up to that moment. The other element that works well (at least for me) is the character of Blue. She again steals the film, but there is also a feeling of “we have seen this before” with her interactions in the film. Aside from this, pretty much the rest of the film just did not work. The scene of the dinosaur creeping through the house (which looked so impressive in the trailer) just came across as idiotic in the final film with the new dinosaur's human-like features (eg. His long arm/hand) feeling all wrong, even though it supplies horror images that are suitably creepy. In fact, the new genetically enhanced super dinosaur, the “Indominus Rex”, was a total disappointment. He looks pathetic; like an angry raptor having a bad hair day and just didn't carry any gravitas or wow factor like I was expecting.

An aspect of the film that I thoroughly disliked (and is quite the spoiler for those who have yet to see the film, so beware) was the character of Maisie Lockwood, the granddaughter of Benjamin Lockwood, who turns out to actually be a clone of his daughter and not his real granddaughter at all. It is a reveal that goes totally against everything we know about this character previous, and the thought of human cloning being entered into this film really had an icky feeling to it. It almost felt like desperation to add something new, because they knew that the dinosaur's weren't enough this time around. The biggest shock though in “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” is just how little fun both Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard appear to be having. Their performances are flat and their chemistry is gone, and both of them look as if they are just going through the motions this time around and not enjoying themselves at all. Even the comedy between them feels forced here, whereas in the previous film it felt so natural and light which made it more funny.

Like the stars of the film itself, I came out of my screening of “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” feeling totally flat. Expecting to love the film, I left the cinema feeling a sense of “meh” and I knew that I was unlikely to be more disappointed by a film in 2018. Interestingly, this is also the third consecutive film directed by J.A. Bayona that I have disliked since his brilliant 2007 debut, “The Orphanage” (although “The Impossible” does have some great moments in it). Maybe he isn't as good a director that I keep giving him credit for being (based on the strength of that debut). Anyway, while I still want to revisit the film (this time without expectations, to see if my opinion of it will increase), after my initial viewing, there was no doubt that “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” was my biggest disappointment of 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment