Wednesday, January 3, 2024

2023 - IN REVIEW: MOST OVERRATED

 

TALK TO ME

Once again, let me just say that just because I deem something to be overrated, it does not mean that I then think it isn't good. Almost always my most overrated film of the year is actually a film that I have liked, but one that I think that has been hyped up more than it is actually worth. This year, that film was the Australian supernatural horror film, “Talk To Me”. For some reason, Americans went crazy for this film and before it had even been released, it had been significantly hyped due to a successful screening at Sundance, earlier in the year. I think what got me to take some interest in the film, was that A24 then came on board to distribute it, and they have a pretty good eye in what is good and different in cinema. When the trailer came out, while I admit, it did look very good and was certainly intense, I must admit that I wasn't sold on the whole “embalmed hand” thing; it seemed like a stupid idea for someone to be possessed by and see into the other side, if only for a brief moment.

None of this stopped me from going out and seeing the film, the first session on the opening day here in Melbourne (I am a horror tragic), and while yes, “Talk To Me” is a well made and good supernatural horror, I just did not see anything extra that made it “special” or worthwhile of all the extra buzz that it had been generating. It seemed like all the other teen horror movies that are regularly released into cinemas. I was not a huge fan of the characters or the actors, and I never truly got over the “embalmed hand” thing either. That said, I can tell when a horror film is working, which “Talk To Me” certainly does when it comes to its scary scenes, so I understand when people say it is a good horror film, it is just that I do not understand why people think it is any more special than that. I must say that I did like that it was at least a little bit original in its story, but my heart sank a little when it did so well, and thus an immediate sequel was green-lit (Not every successful horror film needs a sequel, people!!).

Again, let me reiterate, “Talk To Me” is a good horror film, that I actually liked (I even gave it 3.5 stars), but I also think that it has been massively over-hyped too, although this may be just the opinion of a seasoned horror fan, who at almost fifty years of age, feels like he has seen it all in the genre, because my horror-loving fourteen year old daughter thinks “Talk To Me” is absolutely terrifying and she loves it because of that, so what do I really know?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment