Tuesday, February 8, 2011

PIRANHA

This is Joe Dante’s “acknowledged” rip-off of Spielberg’s “Jaws”, with the shark, obviously, being substituted by the vicious piranha.  I had seen this before and was looking forward to seeing this for the first time on the big screen, however the print of “Piranha” that the festival had received was badly damaged and faded, and it was decided to screen a dvd of the film instead.  Oh well, it is not ideal, but at least they were upfront about it (it helped too, that Joe Dante himself delivered the news to us). 
The plot is about genetically enhanced piranha’s that escape into a river system and end up attacking a newly opened swim park.  As much fun as the film is, the biggest reason to go see “Piranha” was Joe Dante himself.  This was the final film that Joe was introducing (that I was seeing) and as such I was determined to get him to sign my blu-ray copy of “The Howling” (which was strangely absent from the Dante retrospective).  I can report that this story has a happy ending, as he signed it before the film started.  Not only that, I also got to meet Jamie Blanks, the director of the American slasher films “Urban Legend” and “Valentine”, as well as the messed up Aussie film “Storm Warning”. 
In regards to the film, there is not much I can add really, it is what it is, which is a lot of bloody fun.  If you are into horror, check it out (also watch its recent 3D remake [read my review here], which was also a great time at the movies).

3 Stars - Viewed at the 2010 Melbourne International Film Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment