Friday, January 7, 2022

2021 - IN REVIEW: MOST OVERRATED

DUNE

I feel like I have beaten up on Denis Villeneuve's “Dune” enough in my top ten worst films list, but unfortunately there is just no other choice for which film I think is the most overrated this year. It is a story that has been told in a far too serious manner, that literally sucks all and any fun that could have been had with it.

Outside of Josh Brolin and Oscar Isaac, I feel like all of the performances are flat and lifeless, especially that of our leading man Timothee Chalamet who looks like he is sleepwalking throughout the entirety of the film. One element that I did not talk about before was its misleading marketing campaign in regards to Zendaya. In a film that goes for 155 minutes, I believe that Zendaya is only in seven of those minutes, and yet she features prominently in all of the trailers and in interviews promoting the film. Yes, her character plays a much bigger role in the sequel but the way they marketed this film around her visage, I am sure there were many disappointed and annoyed people who left “Dune” expecting to see more of Zendaya. As it is, her role is too minor in this chapter to give any indication on the quality of her performance.

I know the majority of people love this film, and there are some who find it almost like a religious experience, and honestly I am happy for those people, but I just do not see it. At all. It is a well made film from a technical standpoint, I concur with that, but it takes itself far too seriously and that is its biggest downfall. I am a fan of director Denis Villeneuve, (this is his first big failure for me), and because of that I will be there front and centre when “Dune: Part Two” is released, and I even hope that it is a success and that I will enjoy it, but frankly in my eyes, “Dune: Part One” is the most overrated film of 2021.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment